Saturday 1 June 2013

HOW I WISH



When growing up as a child felt so great, dancing and playing around in my birth dress, having nothing to think about, and going to school as though I was doing my parents a favour.
When sickness calls, my mother cried as though I was going to die in the next few minutes. Whether my dress was clean or not was never a bother to me, because my mother had to bear my shame for me.

When results are released, I was never ashamed whether it came out good or bad, all I knew was that I had done my parents a great favour.
 My siblings were my closest pal as we all engaged in the game of pranks playing together.
But today, the lyrics has changed as I no longer feel great being a lady, I can no longer dance around in my birth dress as the bathroom has become my hiding place.
Today, when sickness calls, I now do the crying alone, I need not be told that my dress needs to be washed and properly ironed. I now stay far away from the home that saw my naked body.
 Today, being a lady bestows on me great responsibilities, I’m left to fight alone, no more pranks for a grown lady, the future now calls as I have to study hard and do well, not for my parents anymore but for the future that seems vague.
Oh! How I wish I could still be a child again.

No comments: